| Merchant Guildmistress
"There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."
Sage is the latest and last of the Coibrans on Gateway Isle, once well-known proprietors of the 'Coibran Chandlery'. Her family and their business have been present on Gateway, according to them and local folklore, for a century or two, at least. Raised primarily by her father, save for occasional jaunts to Draught in summer to visit her mother, Sage was known to be as talented and devoted a chandler as her father. The shop fell on some hard times after the earthquake damaged it and Cedric made some bad investments, but Sage was determined to continue the Coibran legacy. Using what little savings they had, she saw to the renovating of their shop and the business saw a brief resurgence as people began to remember that 'Coibran Means Quality Candles!'
Unfortunately, while Sage and her father were out of the village inspecting the hives for an extended period, the shop was used in a most nefarious way by a madman. The results of this were a fire that razed the shop to the ground and nearly killed several people. The shock of losing the chandlery ended the life of the already ailing Cedric shortly after he and Sage returned from their trip to discover what had transpired. Bereft of family and living, Sage departed Gateway for Draught, where she spent six months in a period of mourning and depression until, it's rumored, her mother finally kicked her out, fed up with her melancholy. At that point, Sage returned to Gateway looking for some way to make a living.
Upon her return, Sage renewed old acquaintances and contacts and secured work for herself temporarily as the Jailkeeper under then Sheriff Godfrey. Thanks to generous funding by her cousin, Solphin Acaran, reconstruction began on the Coibran Chandlery on the foundations of the old one in December of 506. In October of 507, a year after her return to Gateway, the new chandlery reopened, and seems to be thriving. Sage seems intent on looking beyond just running the chandlery, however. Since early 508, she served in various officer positions in the Merchant's Guild, including Merchant Relations and First Officer. In October of 508, she also was elected as Citizen Speaker, the so-called 'Voice of the People'. She proved herself a capable and compassionate representative and leader of the citizenry when required, especially after the events of the Great Schism, though there are some who disagree with her outspoken views on Providence and her forward manner. In July 510, she was elected to the position of Guildmistress of the Merchant's Guild, and elections were called for a new Citizen Speaker; in September of 510, Sage resigned as Citizen Speaker to focus on her work for the Guild. On August 30th, 511, during Emperor Jordan's coronation, she also was given the title 'Minister of Trade' for the Empire, expanding her duties to include an advisory role for the young Emperor.
When the Tyrean occupation came, Sage was a vociferous opponent in the beginning, but she eventually channeled her anger into quieter, more effective ways. She took a seat on the Council as 'Lady Guildmistress', but worked with many others behind the scenes to do what she could to help free Gateway from Tyrean control. With the successful defeat of the rogue faction in Tyr and the dissolution of the Tyrean-created Council, Sage has taken a new seat - once more a citizen - on the Imperial Council as Merchant Guildmistress. Her negotiations with the Tyreans bode well for future expansion of the Guild and the Empire's trade network across Ikol.
On June 15th, 513, the next link in the Coibran legacy was born in the form of Sage's firstborn child, a son named Asher Rhodes Coibran.
For further details, see Sage's Timeline.
Mercurial, quicksilver, elemental. These are words often applied to Sage and her various moods. Quick to storm and rage, and as easily quick to laugh and tease. She's been known to be ruthless and opportunistic, but rarely for pleasure or malice towards others. She is, for the most part, an even-handed woman with a sense of fair play and honesty that would suit even the Sheriff. But when her back is to the rock, she's not going down without a fight, and that fierce defense is especially true of what little family she has - either by blood, or by choosing.
Though free with her opinions and open in her emotions, Sage is not an overly sentimental creature. Better suited to her are words like pragmatic and realistic. She's logical, thoughtful, and direct, when need be, though not as cold and materialistic as her mother is rumored to be, by far. It is, perhaps, her father in her that softens her so, and allows her to laugh and enjoy a good ale, a good tale and a good bedding as much as the cold coins in her hand at the end of the day. For all of her practicality, however, she is still subject to occasional fits of melancholy and moroseness, especially when she's been drinking or thinking too much.
Though Sage is a chandler of skill, she is also quite good with numbers. She possesses a very keen mind for them and can do complicated reckoning in her head, both mathematically and spatially, when required. She also has an avid fascination with riddles and puzzles. She is aided in the deciphering of such with her memory, which is quite keen.
- Sage is no real lover of chocolate, but she has a peculiar obsession with berry pastries - especially raspberry. That obsession is what led to her secret hobby: baking. After years of working on it, she makes several decent pastries and breads.
- Though she prefers cats to dogs (canine loyalty is nice, but they're just too clingy), she is, sadly, quite allergic to felines.
- Sage often takes Providence's name in vain in creative ways, but is no great believer. She's also not too fond of Purists.
- Cedric taught his daughter to handle a knife from a young age, since he believed a woman should have more than her tongue as a weapon in her defense.
- Sage has a very, very good memory for things she sees and hears, particular numbers and words. In fact, at times, it seems almost eidetic - although she can't remember that particular word no matter how hard she tries.
- Once, Sage rarely turned down a free drink, her beverage of choice being whiskey. Since her kidnapping on Draught, she went through a dry period and has slowly started drinking again, but not nearly to the extent she did before.
- Rumor has it that Sage all but swore off skirts between the age of 15 and 16, around the same time she bore the nickname 'Squid-Kid' for nearly a year. The same rumor indicates that Elian Key was somehow involved.
- Since the burning of the original chandlery, Sage has developed a mild phobia of uncontained fire, especially in buildings. She will go to great lengths to shield and properly contain candles, lanterns and other sources of flame.
- Known to most as a sensualist and even a hedonist, Sage changed noticeably for a time after her abduction on Draught: quieter, more reserved, and much less likely to let people draw near or touch her. This has eased with time, though she still hasn't been publically known to take any lovers.
- The chandlery gets its beeswax from many sources, including the hives Sage maintains outside the city walls. She can be seen tending them on random afternoons without netting or gloves; rumor has it she's something of a bee charmer and is rarely ever stung.
| Facets of a Chandler
Sage's tattoo if the flower were red
The charm bracelet on her right wrist
Sage usually wears her hair in a similar style
| Sage Words - A Selection of Quotes Told to Sage at One Point or Another
- "You deserve peace and security and safety just as anyone else in this city deserves it. The problem is that it's an illusion. A figment of our imagination that keeps us warm at night. If you decide to become part of the officials, you're going to see it more and more, and feel that naivete slip further and further, along with your peace of mind."
- "Listen to me, Coibran. /Do not/ make the mistake of thinking that this man is your /friend/. He is using you. It's true that he's had the courtesy to tell you that honestly, but at the end of the day that's what it comes down to: what /use/ you are. You do not have to be /grateful/ to him just because he /could/ make your life worse and hasn't. And he talks a very good game, but let me point out that his logic is bullshit -- it's only a sign of weakness if the arrangement is made known to his subordinates. I never suggested any such thing. The playing field here is wide open for us. What I told him is that I want you to feel secure, and he should come up with alternatives. Disappointment is a powerful thing...but he is /not/ your friend, and the fact that you can be made to feel /guilty/ is worrisome. Whatever he's done for you -- however he helped you? -- it means less than it could because it was done at a high price. There are those of us who would've done that without asking anything of you in return. You should remember that."
- "You're half your mother, and that crazy wench can fake her way through anything. And you're half your father, and that git had one of the biggest stupid hearts I know of. So I think between them both, you're more than well situated for whatever life throws at you. With a little friendly back up here and there...I have the utmost faith in you, cous. Plain and simple."
- "I know I make you uncomfortable, yet you handle it with grace and endurance. You have strength and a candid ability to get to business. You are a good person, but understand the necessity of dealing with the nefarious creatures when you must, which shows a remarkable canniness to your character that I appreciate. You're respectful without being disgusting and disrespectful without forcing me to punish you. You are...most rare."
- "You are a damn pearl, Sage. Truly, a pearl in a sea of sand. All this stress and the strangeness and seriousness of everything that's going on and you still manage to floor me with things like that. Verbal slap across the face to knock some sense into me."
- "I trust that Soranus' judgement over the others, but keep your eye on your own moral compass. Don't let yourself be seduced by his faith in Providence, keep your eyes to the people and that higher light we talked about, and you will forever have my blade at your back and my voice at your ear."
| Sage's Soundtrack
When They Come For Me - Linkin Park - Lyrics
I am not a pattern to be followed. The pill that I'm on is a tough one to swallow.
I'm not a criminal, not a role model, not a born leader. I'm a tough act to follow.
I am not the fortune and the fame on the same verse telling you to forfeit the game.
I came in the ring like a dog on a chain, and found out that the underbelly is sicker than it seems.
And it seems ugly but it can get worse, 'cause even a blueprint is a gift and a curse...
Break The Spell - Daughtry - Lyrics
Like a moth into a flame, I'm hypnotized, And like a stone, I'm paralyzed cause I can't look away.
You found your way under my skin, And I'm tryin' not to love you, But I hate the way I keep on givin' into you, like I always do,
No matter how I try, Or maybe could it be, That you're the part of me, That's keeping me alive?
How Could You? - Saliva - Lyrics
You told me all the lies and hypnotized and I believed.
I'm coming to know all the secrets that you hold.
You think I'm a fool and I don't know what you do,
But I look in your eyes and I finally realize...
Wrought - Peratus - Lyrics
I'm left alone with all the monsters in my head, They say to me you won't choose life over death.
Insane attraction causes stillness in my mind, Only a fraction of the things I've left to find.
I can't control my so impulsive frame of mind, I feel the reins, the bridle, jerk my head in line.
I wanna scream I wanna kill I wanna shout; I choke it back and take a punch right in the mouth.
Oh without you, all alone - I see right through strong intentions left and gone.
You rather see me rot alone; instead I suffer here for this.
You see me, I'm pleading for you to stop my bleeding...
Suffocate - Cold - Lyrics -
For Anneala: I could take every fucking word she says, throw it in her face, but would she even care?
I still remember when she looked at me, that frown upon her face, trying to be sincere.
I gathered all those little things she said, kept them close to me, trying to make this real...
You're such a fake it's true. I can't believe the words you say. I'm far away from you. I'll never bring back yesterday.